This fabulous recipe was created for us by James Mackenzie, Michelin-starred chef of The Pipe & Glass Inn.
Serves 2 (or 4 as a starter)
2 fillets of Staal smoked haddock
200g Arborio risotto rice
½ onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic crushed
1 leek finely chopped
500ml fish stock
200ml dry white wine
100g grated fresh parmesan
2 hand fulls of baby leaf spinach (washed)
White wine vinegar
200ml whipping cream
2tbsp grain mustard
200g grated fresh parmesan
1. Skin and de bone the fillets of smoked haddock, dice the fish into chunks.
2. Heat the fish stock in a sauce pan as this will incorporate better if it is hot.
3. Poach the eggs in boiling water with a tbsp of white wine vinegar in take out and plunge into ice cold water ready for later use.
4. Sweat the onion and the crushed garlic in a little rapeseed oil in a sauce pan until translucent, do not colour, then add the rice and cook for another couple of minutes stirring constantly. Heating the rice through at this point helps it absorb the flavours.
5. Add the white wine to the rice and cook out for about 1-2 minutes then start to add the fish stock a couple of ladles at a time over a medium heat until it is all absorbed then you can add some more this should take about ten minutes at this point add your leeks and haddock, cook for 2 minutes and then add the spinach leaf and cook just long enough for the spinach to start to wilt, check the consistency as you may need a little more stock or water, it should be loose enough to fall off a spoon. Finally finish with 100g of freshly grated parmesan and season if needed.
6. Bring the cream to the boil with the grain mustard and a pinch of salt.
7. Re heat the poached eggs in boiling water, spoon the risotto into your bowls, top with a poached egg and grain mustard cream.
8. I like to also garnish this with a parmesan tuile, which you just sprinkle a layer of the 200g grated parmesan on to a non stick baking sheet or frying pan and bake in the oven at 180 for about ten minutes until it is golden and crisp.
You can buy our lovely Smoked Haddock by following the link below:
The Pipe & Glass Inn, South Dalton, Beverley, East Yorkshire