For the pizza dough:
300g strong bread flour
1 tsp instant dried yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
For the toppings:
2 tsp dried oregano
170g Staal Smokehouse Twice Smoked Chicken Breast
125g ball of mozzarella (sliced), or 250g grated mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 240 degrees C (220 fan).
- To make the dough: put the strong bread flour into a large bowl then stir in the dried yeast and salt. Make a well in the middle and pour in the luke warm water and olive oil, then mix well with a wooden spoon until you have a soft wet dough.
- Place your dough onto a floured surface and knead for around 5 minutes until smooth and stretchy.
- Lightly coat the inside of your bowl with olive oil (to stop the dough from sticking) and place the dough back in the bowl to rest for about 30 minutes*. Cover with a tea towel to stop it drying out. * It’s not essential for the dough to rise for a thin crust pizza, so if you’re short on time just let the dough rest for as long as you can.
- Pour the passata into a separate bowl, then set aside ready for spooning onto the pizza bases.
- Thinly slice the smoked chicken breast, or cut into small cubes if you prefer.
- Place the dough on a floured surface (knead a little first if the dough has risen), then cut into two equal pieces. Roll each piece into a circle approximately 25cm across, or into a square or oblong shape if you don’t have round baking trays.
- Place each pizza base onto a well-oiled or non-stick baking tray.
- To create your toppings: spoon the passata onto the pizza bases, and spread it out so that you have a good covering but not too much (as it will make the pizza base soggy). Sprinkle a light dusting of oregano over the passata.
- Cover the pizza bases evenly with pieces of the smoked chicken, and any other pizza toppings you like such as olives, sweet peppers, onion, or sun dried tomatoes. Dabs of caramelised onion marmalade or cranberry sauce are a favourite addition in our house!
- Add the grated or sliced mozzarella, covering the rest of the pizza toppings.
- Cook the pizzas in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and turning golden.
- Serve with rocket leaves on top, or a side salad.