150g brown rice
2 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
360g Staal Smoked Mackerel
100g kale, roughly chopped
20g coriander, finely chopped
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil with a lid on. Once boiling, add the rice and a dash of oil. Reduce the heat to a rolling boil and replace the lid. Cook for 15-20 mins until softened.
- While the rice is cooking, heat a good dash of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the turmeric and fry gently for 2-3 mins.
- Add the mustard to the frying pan, then stir in the onions. Reduce the heat, add the garlic, and cook for a further 4-5 mins, stirring regularly, until the onions have softened. Remove from the heat.
- Check the rice, it should be al dente (firm to the bite). Drain and leave to cool for 1-2 mins. Add to the onions mixture and combine everything together. Season with black pepper but not salt.
- Flake the mackerel into the rice mixture and return the pan to the heat.
- Add the kale to the pan and allow to wilt. Use a wooden spoon to gently combine all of the ingredients together. Do not stir too much to avoid breaking up the mackerel flakes too much.
- Once the kale has wilted and the rice and fish have heated through serve in soup bowls or deep plates. Garnish with the coriander and lemon wedges to taste.